The Best Content Management Software
Every marketing expert understands that if you can attract and retain visitors to your website, your business will be good. However, you need to continuously update content about your product or services to keep people engaged. This task needs the best website content management system. With so many CMS options on the market, it might be difficult to find the best website content management system for your particular needs. This article is here to help you out with a list and information about the best content management software.
Ranking methodology of the best management software
To come up with a list of the best CMS platforms, we follow a strict ranking methodology. First, we look up the highest-ranked CMS tools on multiple software ranking websites and sort out the top 50 to 100. Second, we look up multiple user reviews and expert reviews to create a list of top features. We also extract relevant metadata. Third, we check each product’s demo and trial versions. Finally, we let experts examine their usability and design. Taking all this into account, a score is calculated and the CMS platforms are ranked.
Our list of the best CMS tools was generated based on a strict ranking methodology. The process involves using experts, ranking websites, user reviews, and testing the software itself to determine if the CMS system works as advertised. Check the ranking methodology section for more information.
As stated earlier, the CMS software listed above was whittled down from over 100 competing products on the market. Businesses and organizations usually have different uses for a CMS system. This is key when choosing a content management system as not every company will need every available CMS feature. Our list contains products that are the best of the best for the range of features they offer. Therefore, the solution you choose should be guided by your individual needs.
The best way to find the best content management software that works for your business is by testing it. This is possible thanks to features like free trials, demo versions, and money-back guarantees for many of these products. This means you can implement a website CMS tool in a real working environment relatively risk-free. This will ensure that different parties in your business are happy with the functionalities.
Based on the results from the testing process, You can make a decision to either buy the product or find another one. Now, let’s take a deep dive into the topic.
Best content management software overview
Currently, websites are much more than pictures and words. While the website content and design are vital, it is becoming increasingly critical to include more when building your platform. Most of the time, website developers are key in making such choices. However, with the integration of a good website content management system, you can manage your website without any coding knowledge.
What is content management software?
Content management software, or CMS, is a system that allows users to create, manage and modify content on a website without specialized technical knowledge. In simple terms, CMS software is a platform that allows you to build a website without including any code or having any knowledge about coding. Instead of creating an infrastructure for running the website, everything is handled by the content management software.
A CMS software solution is made up of two core parts. The first is the visible Content Management Application (CMA) that allows you to add content to your website. The second is the Content Delivery Application (CDA), which works in the background. It stores the input from the CMA and makes it visible to visitors on your platform.
Many of the best website CMS platforms are flexible, while others focus on specific functionalities. Flexible CMS software allows users to create virtually any kind of website including blogs, static websites, forums, online courses, and social networks.
What does the best content management software do?
Content has become one of the most powerful ways that businesses can interact with consumers. This does not affect just marketing but also all other departments of the brand. The best CMS performs certain functions that enable a streamlined business process. Here are some things the best content management software does.
- Content management — This refers to the creation, editing, posting, and managing of the content you place on your website. The content can include audio, text, images, and videos. A good CMS software should allow you to perform these actions with ease.
- Presentation — First impressions are usually critical in the attraction of potential customers. Furthermore, people use different platforms including mobile and desktop to access online content. The best CMS system should optimize content for everyone regardless of the device they use.
- Analytics — When providing content to potential clients, you want to know if anyone is reading it. Having good analytics will help you identify topics that get more visitors and those that need improvement. The best website CMS system will include analytics information with reports on the content that you post.
- Integration — In a business environment, there are different departments that work together to achieve a certain goal. CMS software allows the integration of these departments for easier communication and analytics.
Content management system meaning
A content management system is a tool used for managing a website without technical knowledge. More specifically, it is a software application that allows its users to collaborate to create, edit and produce digital content. This digital content includes web pages, blog spots, product descriptions, and many other types of websites.
Main features of the best content management software
Typically, the best content management software shares the same core features to enable the creation, modification, and publishing of digital website content. Here are some core features you should expect in a CMS system to help you run your website.
- Security — Security is important in a CMS system not only because it protects you but because it also protects your visitors’ data. When choosing a content management system, ensure that it has built-in features that achieve your desired security standards. Such features should include SSL if monetary transactions are involved.
- Built-in SEO tools — CMS software with built-in SEO tools assists you to optimize your web content and improve the ranking in search engines. Thus, website CMS platforms should be SEO friendly and allow responsive elements in their design.
- Templates — Website CMS platforms should be easy to use due to the automation of most processes. A platform with pre-set templates ensures that you can easily create your website without design knowledge. Furthermore, the platform should have a good number of templates for more choice.
- Support — Most CMS tools simply offer documentation about their system. For a better working environment, look for website CMS platforms that have human customer support. This is important especially if you have any issues while managing your website.
- Detailed analytics — As a business, you need information and statistics about how your content is doing and if anyone is reading it. Normally, website CMS platforms come with built-in analytics tools for measuring performance, click-throughs, and other information on your dashboard.
Benefits of using the best content management software
More brands are now joining the digital space to interact with current and potential consumers. This calls for a well-designed website with an easy-to-use interface. A website content management system has all the abilities to provide a website with all these features and more. Here is a use case scenario of CMS tools followed by their benefits.
Use case scenario
Using a content management system, you can create an online store with different products. The system would store information about the products and allow users to place orders. You and your team can work on orders to ensure that each is delivered as intended. You can create reports of how your business is doing in terms of sales and visitors over set periods. With this information, you can adjust the website content accordingly.
Benefits of the best content management software
There are a number of benefits to using this type of software.
Affordable and cost-effective
Static websites are expensive to start and maintain when hiring expert developers and web designers to create the site and make any changes or improvements. Using a content management system saves the user both time and money. You can carry out changes and improvements yourself.
Simplified collaboration and team building
When starting up your business, you will probably be the sole contributor and designer. As time goes by, you can create a team that you’ll want to collaborate with for a better result. CMS makes it easy to include new users that can work on a single piece of content. You can also monitor their actions and limit their roles.
No coding knowledge required
As the owner of the CMS, you don’t need any coding knowledge to set it up. The same also applies to your users, editors, and any other contributors to your platform. Most website CMS platforms include a WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) feature. This enables easy editing of the content using the actual appearance of the website rather than code.
Faster installations and upgrades
Coding a website from scratch requires in-depth coding knowledge as well as an ecosystem for the hardware. Setting all these up is time-consuming and expensive. The same also applies when performing upgrades. One of the biggest advantages of CMS is the ability to quickly and easily set up your website and make upgrades thanks to bundled features.
When talking about good websites, you should never forget search engine optimization. This is a critical driver for improving SEO rankings, driving traffic and earning potential leads to your website. Using the best content management software makes it easy to create an SEO-friendly website thanks to title tags, meta descriptions, keywords, and so on.
Monitoring how your users view your content indicates the success or failure of a marketing option. CMS tools are usually integrated with analytics tools, especially Google Analytics, for an option to measure KPIs. From analytics information, you can create detailed reports on how your business is doing without relying on third-party software.
Which companies should buy the best content management software
Different industries can enjoy the benefits of using a website content management system. CMS tools also provide users with the ability to tackle more complicated tasks. Here are some companies that should consider using a content management system.
e-Commerce online platforms give customers the ability to browse products, add those products to their shopping cart, checkout, and pay. Their purchases are then delivered to a specified location. Using a content management system provides a user-friendly solution for small businesses to create websites and sell their products online without coding knowledge.
Many manufacturing firms have implemented content management systems as a flexible platform to allow them to leverage the benefits of the internet. Users get information about new products, services, and offers from the manufacturing company. Furthermore, the company can also store and access vital information from different departments.
Health information can now be shared coherently between a doctor and a patient thanks to the implementation of CMS tools. The value of CMS software in healthcare relies heavily on security, flexibility, and the ability to collaborate between departments. Personalized information can be shared with individual patients while general content is shared universally.
In the banking sector, there is a full range of services that need to be carried out efficiently. Furthermore, security is key since financial and personal information is shared across different platforms. With a good content management system, all these functions can be carried out quickly and efficiently. Users will also have access to banking services wherever they are.
What does the best content management software cost?
Pricing for a website content management system varies depending on the number of users and type of software. The amount varies between $12,0000 and $14,000 for the software, $7500 to $250,000 for the license and $15,000 to $200,000 for implementation. Enterprise charges differ depending on the package and type of deployment.
Types of the best content management software
Understanding the differences between content management systems is the key to finding the best option for your business. Here are five of the most popular content management systems:
Component content management system
Different from standard CMS platforms, the component website content management system organizes users’ input on a granular level. While others store content page by page, this stores words, phrases, photos, and paragraphs. This type of CMS tool is mostly used in instances where the content or components of the whole content can be reused.
Document management system
Tracking business activities with physical paper is now almost extinct. A document management system is a paperless solution for storing, managing, and tracking important business documents. This type of content management system stores documents in the cloud. It offers automated processing, uploading, and sharing of documents without the need for scanning or printing.
Enterprise content management system
An enterprise content management system allows users to add information, which it then organizes and delivers to the relevant audience. With this type of CMS software, different departments have access to the information required to complete a specific project.
Web content management system
With this type of content management software, users have the ability to manage the digital components of a website regardless of whether they have coding knowledge. Furthermore, it provides an easy way for administration, collaboration, and authoring of digital content. Unlike other types of content management systems, it only deals with web content.
Digital asset management system
A digital asset management system allows users to organize, store and share content with ease while also giving a simple and centralized way for employees, clients, and contractors to access the system. The accessible assets can include creative files, videos, and documents. The best digital asset management system options are cloud-based, meaning they can be accessed from anywhere.
Trends in the best content management software
For many businesses and brands, content means chaos. Lack of a proper website content management system for managing data can quickly cause the loss of crucial information. Although content management systems have been around for a while, advances in technology mean that they need to evolve along with the businesses they serve. Here are some trends that can be expected in the coming years.
- AI and Machine learning — This is perhaps one of the most exciting trends in not only content management systems but also other software. Machine learning and artificial intelligence work together to ensure that customers get personalized content. This is based on their activities on a website. For business owners, it improves their content delivery while consumers get exactly what they need.
- Integration — The current technology has countless tools developed to improve functionality. Given the number of such software options, content management systems have included room for improvements by allowing integrations. These additions work as the backbone of operations in most businesses. We expect that newer best content management software would offer more room to include other technologies in the system.
- Regulatory compliance and security — The online world has many threats lurking in the shadows. We expect a trend towards features that intersect
- the security of visitors and compliance with rules and regulations. Importantly, security does not necessarily apply to the actual user but also to the visitors of the website. Website content management system companies have realized the critical need for security especially in industries like healthcare and security where there are strict legislative bodies.
- Flexible deployment — With different platforms, users need access to information wherever and whenever they want. This calls for a flexible deployment system in content management systems. One way this has been made possible is through cloud-based deployment rather than on-site storage. The flexibility and benefits of the cloud work perfectly regardless of the content management system.
- Mobile access — There’s no doubt that more people in the world have more smartphones than ever. The number keeps growing each year with better communication environments. Content management systems are now focusing on mobile platforms to reach a larger audience. Websites and their components are being optimized to ensure that each mobile platform gets the best experience.
Which is the best content management software?
Choosing the best content management software is not an easy task. With more than 100 available best CMS tools, the best way to find a perfect choice is by testing as many as you. Start with the list provided above since it consists of the best content management software ranked following a strict quality control methodology.
How to choose the best content management software
We are here to help you find the best content management software for your business. Furthermore, we have provided information on the best CMS tools and what you should look for when choosing the best website CMS. One important aspect you should remember is to find a system that specifically works for your business. This can simply be done by testing the software before implementation.
To do this, take advantage of any free trials or demo versions of the best CMS tool. This will allow you to implement the system in a real working environment to ensure that it performs its intended purpose. If this is not the case, you can try another opinion from our list, and keep going until you find the best one.
The best content management software is crucial for businesses and brands that utilize any form of online marketing. It allows its users to create websites without technical knowledge of web scripting languages. While each of the best CMS software solutions is unique in its own way, overall they perform the same function with some having similar features. Implementing a website content management system in any business setting will definitely improve customer interaction and lead generation.
The best CMS system combines a user-friendly interface with built-in tools to delight your visitors. However, with so many platforms available on the internet, this article is here to help you out. It provides information about the best content management software and also lists the best website CMS platforms that you can try out.